Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Of Books and Blankets

Now that summer is almost here, I'm making lists of projects and changes I need to make for my shop. I am transitioning away from scarves and warm knits into bags and hair wraps, more summery things. I have a bag full of cute themed buttons waiting to be attached to cup and mug cozies. My time right now is still taken up with homeschool and finishing the school year well, so making the lists satisfies my creative urge for now.

My goal is to list something new at least once a week, but I've been stalled out a little. I am finishing a custom baby blanket. This blanket is the first one I've knit to sell. I've knit blankets as gifts, but this is the first time I am knitting one on a real deadline. I thought knitting under pressure would stress me out, but actually it's been the opposite.

I know exactly what I need to work on each day. My family knows I am on a deadline and they have been picking up the slack on housework and meal prep. Also, when I knit out in public, the blanket is eye-catching and generates a lot of interest. I always carry business cards now!

So, this is the first of many to come, I hope.

This is the tri-color basket weave baby blanket I am currently knitting.

My husband and I went on an overnight anniversary getaway last week, which you can read more about here. One of our favorite activities is thrift store shopping and the area we stayed in had quite a few. I found these like-new knitting books for $1 each at a hospice thrift store. At a retail store, these books cost $15-$25 each, so this was an amazing find. I was especially thrilled to find the knitted bags pattern book.

Four like-new knitting books for $1 each, score!
So the countdown to summer begins: 30 days!

18 comments:

  1. Good luck, and come on summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your stitching from your new books. Are you sure summer begins in 30 days? I have snow happening here today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal, I know! I see some people have snow today and that blows my mind. I'm thankful to be a California girl!

      Delete
  3. That blanket is lovely! Good luck with your goal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the blanket and the colors.. very pretty. I have goals in my mind, but I am still unpacking and facing surgery. Good luck on your goals :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope all goes well for you, Gina. The colors look better than I thought they would.

      Delete
  5. Good luck with your goal and have fun with your new books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The blanket is gorgeous! Good luck finishing up the school year. My neighbor home schools her kids but I'm pretty sure I'd pull my hair out. That's wonderful that you have the patience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea, there are definitely days when I lose it a little! Thank you so much!

      Delete
  7. Pretty blanket. You'll get back to listing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wonderful cheery colors in the blanket! great for kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alex. The customer chose the colors and I was a little worried. But it looks good!

      Delete
  9. I love your work and cant wait to see some of those bags from your book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I admire your goal of knitting professionally. I'm never able to give mine away...

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful blanket and great idea to knit outdoors with the fresh air and promote yourself too

    ReplyDelete