Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Keyhole vs. Short


Funny story about this scarf. The stitch I used is mock cable, love! The pattern I thought I was using is keyhole, a keyhole scarf. I knew such a thing existed. I knew I had seen pictures. I truly thought that was what I had made by forming one end of the scarf into a loop so the other end could be pulled through. Isn't that like a keyhole? Sure! But, of course this is after I listed it and tagged it with keyhole, keyhole, keyhole, my husband was perusing one of my knitting project books, an unusual activity for him, and he says, "Oh, wow. I thought you made that term up yourself. Here it is right here, a keyhole scarf." I glanced at the picture, and froze. That scarf looked nothing like the one I made! Their keyhole was in the middle of the scarf! Doh!

Well, first things first, I looked up pictures of the scarf style I DID make, and it's called a short scarf. Yep, that's it. Short scarf. Definitely not as cute and peppy as keyhole scarf, but whatever. I changed all my tags and titles and relisted it as a short scarf. Then I added a vintage button from the bag of buttons my grandmother gave me. I love it! The button really adds a lot. So, here it is, a Kelly green short scarf!


When I'm looking at the stats for my shop, one number I always compare is the listing viewed to the listing favorited. In other words, I want to know if the numbers match. Did the shopper favorite the item viewed or not? You want favorites if not sales! This gray headband got a lot of views, but not many favorites. This was boggling to me since it is such a cute piece. Hmm. As with most of my knitting lately, the headband needed something, some pizazz, character. I added the black trim and changed my pictures. Immediately the favorites started matching the views! I am learning so much from running this Etsy shop! I know my knitting is in a evolutionary phase and I'm surrounding myself with different techniques for finishing projects. It's more work than simply binding off, but absolutely necessary.

I have so many projects on the needles right now. I have finished a few that are awaiting that final inspired touch. I have yet to pick up my needles today. You can read about it here. Time to make some coffee and get busy!





9 comments:

  1. Love that headband and can see why it got so much attention! Great call on adding the touch of black! *Ü*

    ReplyDelete
  2. The green scarf is neat, no matter what it's called. And the "new" headband is great. Hope it sells soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very Nice! I wish when I was young, and my grandmother was trying to teach me to knit, I would have listened and learned. Such pretty things can be made

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keyhole or short scarf, it's gorgeous! I love the headband too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. An early lesson I learned in knitting....errors aren't mistakes, just new design elements!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your green scarf. I never seem to know what to do with the other end - your scarf would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete